Practical 3 Reflection

Funny photo I'd share before you dive into my wall of text.


Albeit not turning up for the lab on thursday , 5/11/09 , I managed to finish the practical and learn a few useful search terms and functions of google. The reason why I couldn't make it on thursday was due to the fact that I had a an ear abscess surgery at the ENT Department of Changi General Hospital. Back to my topic, I learn how to use the "AND" , "OR" and "NOT(-)" functions on Google. I am amazed by how much the number of results varies when you type certain key words. It helps to narrow down your search effectively. Comparing Google Scholar and Google, my preference would be Google Scholar as it gives citations at the results page even without having to click on the link. The epicenter of Google Scholar would be that it has a "Cited by (XX)" link and also a "ALL X versions" link which is very essential and beneficial for my project. Participating in a forum is also very good for me as the forum is informative and filled with people of all different ages and different expertise. The forum proves to be more than helpful for my project as the people are very friendly and reply to my questions patiently and promptly too. I feel very comfortable conversing within the forum.

Citation and bibliography are very important. Why are they important? Simply due to the fact that people need to get recognized for their work. One similar concept is Copyright. The "Black Eyed Peas" used an old electronica German band's (Kraftwerk) sample to set as the base of their song : "Fergalicious" and "Black Eyed Peas" did mention their use of Kraftwerk's samples. To add to my point-of-view, imagine a 10 pages written report where you took many days to complete being duplicated by your friend with slight dabbles of changes. This is injustice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment